Endorsements can help the sales of books, or, at least, get them on reading lists.
Jennifer Schuessler notes in her NY Times article that Obama’s reading of his pre-publication copy of Franzen’s Freedom helped put it on the best-seller list- probably even before it was published.
Always looking for something to read? Here’s a checklist for you – books to read to keep up…
Besides Franzen’s Freedom, Obama has inadvertently endorsed:
- Lush Life by Richard Price
- Netherland by Joseph O’Neill
- Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
- A Few Corrections by Brad Leithauser
Bill Clinton has a list of his 21 favorite books, including
- You Can’t Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
For the more Clinton favorites, see http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/21/politics/main585068.shtml
George W. lists The Raven: A Biography of Sam Houston, by Marquis James among his faves.
- Cultural Studies: Are You Reading What He’s Reading? (nytimes.com)