Asked to list her top 10 favorite books, the author of The Apothecary named her inspiration – more than 10. Have you read any of these classics? What books are in your top ten?
- The Collected Stories of John Cheever
- Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger
- Appointment in Samarra by John O’Hara
- The Art of Burning Bridges(biography) by Geoffrey Wolff
- A Book of Common Prayer by Joan Didion
- Run River by Joan Didion
- As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- Edie: An American Girl by Jean Stein
- Parallel Lives: Five Victorian Marriages by Phyllis Rose
- The Border Trilogy, by Cormac McCarthy
- Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
- Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
- American Pastoral by Philip Roth
I’ve read three and the only one I really liked was American Pastoral. I love looking at other reader’s lists.
Me too – always looking for ideas on what to read.