In the New York Times By the Book interview, Maria Semple, author of Where’d You Go, Bernadette?” mentions Barbara Trapido’s “Brother of the More Famous Jack” – out of print but miraculously in my library system.
Her other go-to writers are favorites of mine too (click on the highlighted titles for my reviews):
- Lorrie Moore – A Gate at the Stairs
- Alice Munro – Dear Life
- Yasmina Reza – author of the play “Art.” I remember seeing it, starring Alan Alda, years ago at Ford Theater; available in audio – might be worth listening; more recently she wrote “God of Carnage.”
- Penelope Lively – How It All Began
- Edward St. Aubyn – The Patrick Melrose novels – 5 part series; start with “Never Mind.”
- Michael Frayn – Skios
- Brady Udall – The Lonely Polygamist
Books to Find:
- The Keep by Jennifer Egan
- Glaciers by Alexis Smith
- Tenth of December by George Saunders
- All That Is by James Salter
Office Girl is on that list, but after starting it on my Kindle, I decided it was one of those books “I was supposed to like, but didn’t,” and in Semple’s words – I bailed halfway through it.
I love when authors I like share their reading lists. I haven’t read any of these 😦
So far my favorite on her list is Jennifer Egan’s The Keep. I’m always looking for more books to read too.