When I was coordinating a book club years ago, I tried unsuccessfully to incorporate the discussion into my online site – posting reviews of current club picks, encouraging comments from readers. Sadly, not many members used computers to communicate – about books, anyway. Undaunted, I have posted the year’s picks of the group annually, and it has become a popular click for the curious. Although it goes back to 2009, someone recently accessed the slate for 2012 – so that’s where I started – and ended with this year’s selections.
The Book Club Slate for 2012 included one of my favorite books – Jane Gardam’s Old Filth, and a reminder of how long Ann Patchett has been popular with State of Wonder on the list. Skipping over to the Book Club Picks for 2015, I was reminded of my introduction to Maria Semple in Where’s You Go Bernadette? and Hector Tobar with The Barbarian Nurseries. In The 2016 Club Picks, Kent Haruf’s Our Souls at Night and Paula Hawkins’ The Girl on the Train demonstrated the range of books discussed. Last year brought back Ann Patchett with Commonwealth. The slate for 2018 has one of my favorites – Amor Towles’ A Gentleman in Moscow.
Are any of these on your book club list this year?
2018 Book Club Picks
Monthly Meetings (except November and December)
- Handling Sin by Michael Malone
- The Hynotist’s Love Story by Liane Moriarty
- Small Great Things by Jody Picoult
- The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman
- Midnight in Broad Daylight by Pamela Rotner Sakamoto
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
- The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
- American Wolf by Nate Blakeslee
Another Book Club Plans for Half Year at a Time:
- The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith
- Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance
- My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian/Between the World and Me by Sherman Alexie/Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by Maria Rosa Menocal