I found an old crossword from a Children’s Literature class I taught in a former life. The clues reminded me of some of my favorites. The crossword has 32 Across and 29 Down, but how about I give you the answers to ten of them, and you supply the question.
- Her surname is Quimby and she is the delightful heroine of a series of books, some set in the 1980s.
- The bull who prefers “smelling the roses” to fighting in 1936 book by Munro Leaf.
- Mouse dentist who fools fox patient in this 1982 Newbery Honor book.
- French mouse who works in a cheese factory.
- With the last name of Longstocking, this Swedish tomboy appeared in a 1950 novel.
- The adventures of a little girl who lives in a Paris boarding school in 1939.
- First name of the orphan girl sent to live at Green Gables.
- A young tiger who finally blooms under the watchful eye of his concerned parents.
- Number of cats the old couple had in this 1928 picture book.
- The title of the 2021 winner of the Caldecott Medal.
If you can’t get them all, here’s your crib sheet – the answers in no particular order:
Who Is -Pippi, Madeline,Anne,Ramona
Who Is – Leo, Ferdinand, Anatole, Dr. DeSoto
What Is – A million, We Are Water Protectors